Re: Patch for external_acl "time quota" to limit squid access (parental control)

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2011 09:08:44 -0600

On 04/04/2011 08:00 PM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Apr 2011 22:44:11 +0200, Dr. Tilmann Bubeck wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> please find attached a patch for a new external_acl helper to limit
>> access time to squid.
>>
>> The main purpose is for parental control to limit access to the
>> internet for children. You can configure something like "littlejoe
>> 1h/1d" which means, that littlejoe has a time quota of 1 hour every
>> day.

> ext_time_quota_acl.8:
> * I don't think we need to mention the parental controls use-case in
> the manual. That is likely to be a minor use, the more common usages
> will be likely corporate "lunch-time" allocations and wifi portal
> pay-per-minute installations.

Still, mentioning parental controls may be a good idea because it
provides rationale for some of the design decisions and configuration
examples.

FWIW, I would mention _all_ of the above possible use cases so that
folks searching for what _they_ need have more chances of finding this
useful extension.

$0.02,

Alex.