3.2 release checkup

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 07 May 2011 17:15:17 +1200

Two months ago we set a goal/checkpoint of early May to have 3.2 on the
last legs toward release. This is it. Are we on track? No.

So to continue from the earlier discussion, omitting items now completed
and merged. Could I get an estimate of how much longer these remaining
are likely to take please?

* IPv6 split-stack incomplete (multiple OS require this) - Amos.

With all the trouble around GCC 4.6 compile problems and a bungled
3.2.0.6 my comm work has slipped the timeline by a good 2-3 weeks. I'm
now looking at next week as the audit deadline.

* StringNG upgrade merged - Kinkie, Alex ?

As far as I understand the current state:
  MemBuf - completed?
  SBuf - I believe Jenkins problems and audit have collided to stall the
StringNG work.
  Code rollout - Going with incremental merges indefinitely rather than
a flag-day commit for 3.2.

* SMP cache/store support (RockStore) - Alex

  Background supporting changed merged. The main feature still pending.
This was scheduled for audit by 1st May. How close is it Alex?

* Squid3 performance regressions - Alex, Everybody (with help Dave Lang,
Jenny Lee

  A bunch of small issues found and fixed. No significant dent made in
most of the bigger known lags yet AFAICT. We may need to organize a
sprint to work on this once the above features are out of our way.

* 9 bugs major or higher outstanding from 3.0 stable

* 30 bugs major or higher outstanding from 3.1 stable

* 4 bugs major or higher open in 3.2

Sadly the bugs are a multiplying and I've fallen behind a bit.
  My thanks to Christos for jumping on top of many this month.

Additional important issues with less urgency:

  * Windows support - Amos, Kinkie, Guido ?

  MinGW fixes are ongoing. One of the blocker bugs remains to stall the
work.

  Kinkie and I have been donated a new machine to play with using very
recent releases of VisualStudio and Windows7. Hopefully there will be
some progress coming up in that area.

  * stale-while-revalidate
   ** requires async revalidation, which is blocked by store changes

Please be using
   Beta testers wanted for 3.2.0.7 and 3.1.12.1