Re: 3.2 release checkup

From: Kinkie <gkinkie_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 7 May 2011 08:39:59 +0200

On Sat, May 7, 2011 at 7:15 AM, Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz> wrote:
> Two months ago we set a goal/checkpoint of early May to have 3.2 on the last
> legs toward release. This is it. Are we on track? No.
>

> So to continue from the earlier discussion, omitting items now completed and
> merged.  Could I get an estimate of how much longer these remaining are
> likely to take please?
>

> * IPv6 split-stack incomplete (multiple OS require this) - Amos.
>
> With all the trouble around GCC 4.6 compile problems and a bungled 3.2.0.6
> my comm work has slipped the timeline by a good 2-3 weeks. I'm now looking
> at next week as the audit deadline.
>

> * StringNG upgrade merged - Kinkie, Alex ?
>
> As far as I understand the current state:
>  MemBuf - completed?

Yes. May require a little tweak to support one new SBuf API

>  SBuf - I believe Jenkins problems and audit have collided to stall the
> StringNG work.

Most of the API should be stable, and most of the backend stuff was
agreed and done.
What is missing is mostly how to get things into SBuf (except from
already-built c-strings).

>  Code rollout - Going with incremental merges indefinitely rather than a
> flag-day commit for 3.2.

Yes, that would be best.

>  * Windows support - Amos, Kinkie, Guido ?
>
>  MinGW fixes are ongoing. One of the blocker bugs remains to stall the work.
>
>  Kinkie and I have been donated a new machine to play with using very recent
> releases of VisualStudio and Windows7. Hopefully there will be some progress
> coming up in that area.

Yes. I'll also be able to leverage the ARM work I've been doing lately
to also support new architectures (MIPS, MIPS Little Endian, SPARC,
PPC are hopefully going to be showing up soon).
One outstanding issue with the mingw host may be related to firewall
issues, Guido's support is needed to work on those.

--
    /kinkie