Squid-3.2 status update

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 16:27:55 +1200

SMP rock storage changes hit 3.2 in r11342 a few minutes ago. Expect
some new bugs to arrive and some to die mysteriously.

Thank you very much for the years of hard work and stress getting this
to happen Alex.

As I understand it so far (Alex will likely follow up and correct me on
some of this);

  * installations with no workers are expected to only see small
benefits via the existing storage code streamlining and bug fixes.

  * installations with workers will automatically get the SMP shared
memory caching. This seems to be the newest most experimental of the
whole update. So fair warning: expect new bugs in this area.

  * installations choosing to explicitly configure "rock" cache_dir type
get that. This is the older part with prior production use as a 3.1
branch. Some changes made for SMP support. So a potential risk of new
bugs, but hopefully not very many.

Project details are http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/RockStore.
Although lacking config how-to at present.

This marks the end of the feature additions to 3.2 (StringNG is a
performance boost which may still happen in the background later).
   The main focus now is on bugs, bugs, performance, polishing up, and
did I mention the 291 bugs? before we can call it "stable".

The next formal package will be in ~10 days at the regular end of month
packaging. Lets see how good we can all make it.

Also, we have to decide now whether or not to drop COSS support from
3.2. Given that rock storage fills the same architectural niche of
efficient in-memory disk backed persistent storage for small objects on
high performance systems.

Votes please? (if you want to keep it please say why)

Please be using
   Beta testers wanted for 3.2.0.12