Re: Reading ACL configuration files every request

From: Henrik Nordström <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2011 16:03:28 +0100

sön 2011-11-06 klockan 00:39 +0000 skrev Andrew Beverley:

> Understandably, the file only appears to be read when the configuration
> file is parsed, rather than each time the ACL is checked. However, I
> need it to be checked more often, as I have a system configuration
> interface that writes a day of the week to the file, which subsequently
> causes a splash page to be shown on a particular day. I would like
> configuration to be done without having to reload the Squid
> configuration file.

I had a patch to squid-2 to selectively reload specific acls only to
have them refresh their included content, reevaluate ip lookups etc.
Never got applied as it was using the cachemgr interface and we did not
want to add more active actions to cachemgr. But this should be
revisited when we have a better control channel.

Regarding making FORMAT optional to external_acl_type, this is a trivial
change, just didn't think there was any valid use of it when the
directive was implemented. Please try the attached trunk patch which
also adds %%{statictext} just in case someone needs to fake format
arguments to some helper.