Returning HTTP/1.0 206 responses

From: Andrew Scherkus <scherkus_at_chromium.org>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 18:12:05 -0700

Hello squid-dev!

I work on Chromium's HTML5 audio/video implementation and have been
digging into networking/caching improvements.

To give you a bit of background, Chromium relies on HTTP range
requests to fetch and buffer portions of audio/video files. Our cache
handles sparse ranges so we don't require the entire file to be
downloaded to cache content.

Recently I came across a case where certain URLs were never getting
saved in Chromium's cache, which leads to re-downloading multimedia
every time you visit a page (yikes!). While squid is capable of
handling range requests, the presence of HTTP/1.0 in a 206 as opposed
to HTTP/1.1 causes Chromium to not cache the response. Firefox has the
same policy as well.

I tested out the http11 option on squid/2.7 and caching worked as
expected in both Chromium and Firefox. I suppose my questions are:
  1) Should squid really be returning HTTP/1.0 on 206 responses when
206 was defined as part of HTTP/1.1?
  2) When will http11 be turned on by default? I couldn't find a
relevant bug in the database to follow.

Thanks,
Andrew