Re: Generic helper I/O format

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2012 13:04:54 +1200

On 5/07/2012 4:16 p.m., Robert Collins wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 4:00 PM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>
> Why do we need backwards compat in the new protocol?
>
> As an alternative, consider setting a protocol= option on the helpers,
> making the default our latest-and-greatest,a nd folk running
> third-party helpers can set protocl=v1 or whatever to get backwards
> compat.
>
> This lets us also warn when we start deprecating the old protocol,
> that its going away.
>
> -Rob

I'm trying to avoid adding more options and complexity with this. To be
done properly that would mean adding whole new config design bits to set
protocol= on several of the more hidden helper lookups. But with one
shared parser and a fallback per-helper parser handling the blob cases
for backward compatibility we can migrate people over without any config
change.

Amos