Re: [RFC] squid-3.2 - SPONSORS update

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2012 14:32:02 -0600

On 07/28/2012 12:40 AM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> * in an ordered list broken down in reverse-chronological order of the
> latest release they sponsored anything.

If I understand this rule/order correctly, it either misleads the reader
that sponsor X did not contribute anything to v3.1 if that same sponsor
has contributed something for v3.2 (e.g., Treehouse is not listed for
v3.1) OR repeats similar text for the same sponsor multiple times (if we
list Treehouse for every v3.x release).

I suggest moving the Squid version info into the sponsor blob itself:

> Sponsor Name1 :: URL1
> Informal text describing their contributions.
> Versions: v3.2, v3.0
>
> Sponsor Name2 :: URL2
> Informal text describing their contributions.
> Versions: v3.1

Ordered in reverse-chronological order of the latest contribution.

> For simplicity I'm adding @Squid-X.Y labels at the boundaries for the
> bzr copy, not sure whether to keep them in the final packaged copy.
> Comments?
>

> Another option is to list sponsors under each version when they
> contributed multiple times.
> That looks a little messy with the ongoing sponsors (Treehouse,
> Measrement Factory etc) so have not done it for this draft.
>

> Below is my first attempt at remembering things. Please check and
> correct. Notice the bottom four entries are unknown to me.

NSF paid for the majority of early Squid expenses. Swell Technology was
a significant contributor but they are no long around. I would keep all
of those early sponsors using something like "earlier Squid versions"
for the Versions line.

> Alex: The Measurement Factory is missing but I know they were involved
> in a lot of code developments as late as 3.2. Is there a blurb we can add?

How about this one:

The Measurement Factory - http://www.measurement-factory.com/

Factory funds ongoing Squid development and maintenance (e.g., ICAP,
eCAP, SMP, Rock, and SslBump), provides hardware and bandwidth for the
primary Squid Project server, and supplies tools for Squid performance
and functionality testing.

Versions: v3.2, v3.1, v3.0 and some v2 releases.

Thank you,

Alex.