Re: [RFC] squid-3.2 - SPONSORS update

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2012 23:15:30 +1200

On 4/08/2012 8:32 a.m., Alex Rousskov wrote:
> On 07/28/2012 12:40 AM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>> * in an ordered list broken down in reverse-chronological order of the
>> latest release they sponsored anything.
> If I understand this rule/order correctly, it either misleads the reader
> that sponsor X did not contribute anything to v3.1 if that same sponsor
> has contributed something for v3.2 (e.g., Treehouse is not listed for
> v3.1) OR repeats similar text for the same sponsor multiple times (if we
> list Treehouse for every v3.x release).
>
> I suggest moving the Squid version info into the sponsor blob itself:

The bzr file has version numbers for maintenance use. They are stripped
away during bootstrap for publication.

The sponsor blurb gets any version references relevant *as well*.

Please see current SPONSORS file(s). SPONSORS.list (bzr raw data) and
SPONSORS (packaged output)

>> Sponsor Name1 :: URL1
>> Informal text describing their contributions.
>> Versions: v3.2, v3.0
>>
>> Sponsor Name2 :: URL2
>> Informal text describing their contributions.
>> Versions: v3.1
>
> Ordered in reverse-chronological order of the latest contribution.
>

>> For simplicity I'm adding @Squid-X.Y labels at the boundaries for the
>> bzr copy, not sure whether to keep them in the final packaged copy.
>> Comments?
>>

>> Another option is to list sponsors under each version when they
>> contributed multiple times.
>> That looks a little messy with the ongoing sponsors (Treehouse,
>> Measrement Factory etc) so have not done it for this draft.
>>

>> Below is my first attempt at remembering things. Please check and
>> correct. Notice the bottom four entries are unknown to me.
>
> NSF paid for the majority of early Squid expenses. Swell Technology was
> a significant contributor but they are no long around. I would keep all
> of those early sponsors using something like "earlier Squid versions"
> for the Versions line.
>

>> Alex: The Measurement Factory is missing but I know they were involved
>> in a lot of code developments as late as 3.2. Is there a blurb we can add?
> How about this one:
>
> -------------
> The Measurement Factory - http://www.measurement-factory.com/
>
> Factory funds ongoing Squid development and maintenance (e.g., ICAP,
> eCAP, SMP, Rock, and SslBump), provides hardware and bandwidth for the
> primary Squid Project server, and supplies tools for Squid performance
> and functionality testing.
>
> Versions: v3.2, v3.1, v3.0 and some v2 releases.

Okay, but in light of the "Versions:" think being out of whack with all
the other blurbs. If you look at iiNet and Treehosue entries it should
give you an idea how the multi-version blurbs are looking today.

Amos