Re: BZR repository upgrade re-proposal.

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2012 11:41:08 +1200

On 04.09.2012 11:22, Henrik Nordström wrote:
> tis 2012-09-04 klockan 10:56 +1200 skrev Amos Jeffries:
>
>> FWIW: I'm in favour of the upgrade, it is a large part of the build
>> timeout issues on rio Debian sid build slave, it causes timeouts
>> while
>> converting the repo changes and/or downloading large portions of
>> repo
>> changeset data before for each test. It is also the reason I'm only
>> working with patches as merge candidates these days.
>
> Yes there is nothing holding back the upgrade to 2a repository format
> today.
>
> There is a 2a repository already prepared in /bzr/squid3-2a since
> some
> years back. It's not automatically pulling changes from /bzr/squid3
> at
> the moment but is kept mostly up to date.
>
> There is also an alternative layout tree at /bzr/squid3-new-2a/ which
> flattens the tree to
>
> ../
> trunk
> 3.0
> 3.1
> 3.2
>
> getting rid of the CVS references and other legacy.

Does this obsolete the CVS mirror completely? or do you mean that is
all pushed into the mirror sub-directories system instead of the bzr
repo?

What do you mean by "other legacy"?

> Switching to squid3-2a is only a matter of switching the two folders.
>
> Switching to the alternative layout requires a bit more discussion as
> it
> has effects on branch URLS and our scripts. It is possible to add
> symlinks to allow both URL styles.

I think that flattening is a good idea.

> Any local branches in old format needs upgrading as well. Due to the
> number of revisions i'd recommend setting up a 2a shared-repository
> from
> the already converted tree and branch your local old format trees
> into
> that for conversation.

Okay. As long as we have a scheduled time and process how-to
distributed I don't see any problems there.

Do we have administrative time to see this through before the 15th
Sept? I will be wanting to branch 3.3 by the end of this month and it
would make sense to deal with less branches in the migration.

Amos