Re: [RFC] One helper to rewrite them all

From: Henrik Nordström <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 01:15:31 +0200

tis 2012-09-11 klockan 15:52 -0600 skrev Alex Rousskov:

> Hm... I wonder if we are making a design mistake here by following
> Squid2 steps: one helper to rewrite request URL, one helper to rewrite
> store URL, then one helper to rewrite some special HTTP header, etc.
> Would it be better to extend (in a backward compatible way) the URL
> rewriter interface so that ONE helper can do all rewriting that is
> needed (today and tomorrow)?

haven't really seen that as a problem.

url & store url fits nicely in the same helper I think, but requires
redefining the interface a bit, currently there is no defined manner for
url rewriters to return anything else.

not sure about headers, that would require a completely new helper
interface, and have significant overhead for url rewriting.

What about using eCAP? Is it possible to return extra attributes such as
store url?