Re: [RFC] One helper to rewrite them all

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 17:50:28 -0600

On 09/11/2012 05:15 PM, Henrik Nordström wrote:
> tis 2012-09-11 klockan 15:52 -0600 skrev Alex Rousskov:
>
>> Hm... I wonder if we are making a design mistake here by following
>> Squid2 steps: one helper to rewrite request URL, one helper to rewrite
>> store URL, then one helper to rewrite some special HTTP header, etc.
>> Would it be better to extend (in a backward compatible way) the URL
>> rewriter interface so that ONE helper can do all rewriting that is
>> needed (today and tomorrow)?

> What about using eCAP? Is it possible to return extra attributes such as
> store url?

Yes, of course. Both ICAP and eCAP have meta-headers that can go both
ways. But some people do prefer the helper simplicity, and my suggestion
was meant to give those folks a performance boost.

If the consensus is that performance-sensitive deployments should use
performance-centric APIs such as eCAP while keeping the URL rewriting
helpers as simple as possible, I am happy to subscribe to that approach.

Cheers,

Alex.