Re: Spaces in ACL values

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 08:15:02 -0600

On 09/14/2012 01:23 AM, Kinkie wrote:
> 3. define a sane overall syntax,

This may be a good time to do that indeed, so that we do not subject
admins to two or more syntax upgrades. I can sketch the rules based on
the ideas in the post that opened this thread.

> ignoring backwards compatibility, and
> supply a translation tool which can be invoked as a filter
> automatically if a legacy syntax is detected.

I do not think supplying an external tool that rewrites/upgrades old
configurations is sufficient because some configurations will include
3rd party files in locations that cannot be written to. I do not know
whether we have enough courage to ignore such, arguably rare, cases.

Another argument I have heard quite often in similar situations is "we
want to be able to switch back and forth between old and new Squid
version; if you change the syntax, it would be difficult for us to do
that". Again, a toggle approach would solve that (if the old version is
patched to support the toggle with the "old style" value as a no-op).

Thank you,

Alex.