Re: Contribution

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2012 22:04:01 +1300

On 5/11/2012 6:41 p.m., Morteza Tajbakhsh wrote:
> Dear Folks out there,
>
> My congrats over & over for making such nice piece of software. I have
> fallen in love with it & I have been using it since 2000.
>
> After years of effectively using Squid the almighty for network
> management, I want to take few steps forward and make a contribution.
>
> I have a customized Farsi error pages as they were poorly translated and
> to make things distinguishable, I renamed it Parsi, the original name. The
> new compilation is more descriptive about the network issues, based on
> real traffic management in Iranian network, but it will do for many other
> Persian-speaking countries as well as Persian users all around the world.
>
> The other is the customalizer, the customizable analysis script based upon
> calamaris.
>
> I didn't attach the package as I am not sure if this is considered spam or
> I am on the right track reaching the right guys at all. If yes, please
> send the green signal and you'll have them.
Greetings Morteza Tajbakhsh,
   and on behalf of everyone; thank you for your thanks.

This is the right place for emailing code contributions to the Squid
Project.

Regarding the Error Page templates.

  I am interested in receiving your contribution. However, unless you
have a .PO format file there is going to be some difficulty with the
integration. We use .PO format for translations and auto-generate the
packaged templates. If what you have is just the HTML templates it may
be hard to convert into packagable texts, particularly if you have
re-phrased the texts.

  I am happy to receive better wordings for any of the page templates.
If you do so please contribute a copy of the new wording in English as
well so we can update the basic wording permanently and pass better
texts around to other translators. Translations should be differing only
in language syntax/grammer from any other language vers of the same page.

Regarding the "customalizer"...

... are you requesting that we promote this tool you have?

  Application for promotion of third-party log analyzer tools,
commercial or free can be done via the form on this page:
    http://www.squid-cache.org/Misc/log-analysis.html

... or, are you requesting we bundle it with the official Squid packages?

  Please be aware that we do not just adopt software donations for new
tools (and features). Someone must be willing to support the tool long term.

* We request that someone (you and/or the tool author) be willing to
provide support for the tool over a fair period before any other project
volunteers are expected to take up supporting it. That includes
help-desk style support for the tool in the squid-users mailing list and
working to resolving any bugs found in the tool. 1 year or so for this
support period appears to be reasonable ask and should cover the tool
through beta testing into some stable releases of Squid-3.
* There is also a bundling requirement that the tool be released under a
FOSS license compatible with the GPL version 2 license the main package
is distributed with. We have a preference for GPLv2 or BSD license, but
anything compatible can be accepted if you desire.
  If you are happy with those basic requirements there is a code audit
process you can start at any time by posting the tool code for review
(http://wiki.squid-cache.org/MergeProcedure has details on that).

HTH
Amos Jeffries
Squid Project