Re: [MERGE] debugs message improvement: use HERE macro wherever sensible

From: Kinkie <gkinkie_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 14:12:35 +0100

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 2:01 AM, Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz> wrote:
> On 12.11.2012 08:25, Alex Rousskov wrote:

>>> It's meant to be a "just before the next branching point". We have
>>> ~1500 calls to debugs() calls with HERE, ~3100 without. Maksing the
>>> HERE symbol will make the effect go away, but it won't clean the mess.
>>> Such an invasive patch was rejected last week, so I added the TODO to
>>> remind to clean up the mess when the right moment in the release cycle
>>> will come.
>>

>> IMHO, there is no right moment for such an invasive patch (the reasons I
>> discussed earlier will not change as the release cycle progresses).
>> Others may overrule me on that, of course.
>

> True. But until the code is consistent and clean of design defects we are
> going to have to put up with periodic polishing bumps to remove cruft.
> IMO the best of the bad times for the big polishing is the gap between X
> being made stable and X+1 branching to beta. When all of us have the minimum
> of maintained branches to port across.

I have removed the comment (but please let's keep in mind regardless).
As "Removing cruft" is a big chunk of what I'm currently doing, it's
an important topic for me :)

>> Or you could just say "Legacy code. Do not use in new or updated code."
>> or something like that :-).
>>
>> If you leave the detailed comment, please spellcheck "manipulatro".
>>

> or "/// \deprecated. Do not use. Remove on sight when editing old code."
> which can be collated into this TODO list by doxygen:

Done a bit of both: I've spell-checked and transformed the comment
into a proper doxyigen doc, and added the deprecated note.
I'm also slipping in a syntax correction in comm.cc which for some
reason was not previously caught.

--
    /kinkie