Re: [MERGE] debugs message improvement: use HERE macro wherever sensible

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 09:16:37 -0700

On 11/11/2012 06:01 PM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> On 12.11.2012 08:25, Alex Rousskov wrote:

>>> It's meant to be a "just before the next branching point". We have
>>> ~1500 calls to debugs() calls with HERE, ~3100 without. Maksing the
>>> HERE symbol will make the effect go away, but it won't clean the mess.
>>> Such an invasive patch was rejected last week, so I added the TODO to
>>> remind to clean up the mess when the right moment in the release cycle
>>> will come.
>>
>> IMHO, there is no right moment for such an invasive patch (the reasons I
>> discussed earlier will not change as the release cycle progresses).
>> Others may overrule me on that, of course.
>
> True. But until the code is consistent and clean of design defects we
> are going to have to put up with periodic polishing bumps to remove cruft.

Our goal is not "perfect code at all costs" so if removing mostly
harmless cruft such as HERE is going to cause a lot of pain, I think it
should be done incrementally, as the old code is being modified, rather
than in one global polishing bump. There are many cases where global
"polishing bumps" are necessary, of course, but I do not see why HERE is
one of them.

Alex.