Help wanted: bug 3764

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 23:58:03 +1300

Hi all,
   we need sombody to adopt this bug and fix the ./configure script
compiler detection maros.

What I would like to se comitted is a ./configure test which identifies
the compiler name and version. Similar to how we detect the operating
sytem name and version for use in the shell if statements.

Following which we can do a switch statement checking or setting up
options for each compiler by name, and a default statement indicating
unknown compiler beware of problems or something like that.

Amos