Re: Help wanted: bug 3764

From: Kinkie <gkinkie_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 20:52:51 +0100

On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 11:58 AM, Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz> wrote:
> Hi all,
> we need sombody to adopt this bug and fix the ./configure script compiler
> detection maros.
>
> What I would like to se comitted is a ./configure test which identifies the
> compiler name and version. Similar to how we detect the operating sytem name
> and version for use in the shell if statements.
>
> Following which we can do a switch statement checking or setting up options
> for each compiler by name, and a default statement indicating unknown
> compiler beware of problems or something like that.

Hi Amos;
  after SQUID_CC_GUESS_VARIANT is run, squid_cv_compiler is set to one
of "gcc" "icc" "sunstudio" or "none" - these are the ones which are
currently recognized. Guessing the version is probably VERY tricky as
it is variant-dependent. SQUID_CC_GUESS_OPTIONS sets a few variables
for common options, and it can be trivially extended if needed.

--
    /kinkie