Logging commands: TCP logger vs Logging daemon

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 12:52:02 -0700

Hello,

    I noticed that "tcp://host:port" logger does not get "rotate logs"
and other commands that the "daemon:foo" helper gets. The TCP logger
just gets the logging line, without any prefix to accommodate future
commands or extensions. This seems rather unfortunate because it
prevents Squid from reporting significant logging-related events to the
remote TCP logger.

Log rotation is one example. Another example would be reporting the
number of lost (due to connectivity problems) access.log records to a
remote logger (if we start supporting such a feature).

Is it to late to adjust documentation so that all logging helpers can
get logging commands?

If it is too late, how about adding an "understands commands" option to
access_log so that loggers that can understand commands can receive them?

Thank you,

Alex.