Re: Logging commands: TCP logger vs Logging daemon

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 18:00:58 +1300

On 24/01/2013 8:52 a.m., Alex Rousskov wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I noticed that "tcp://host:port" logger does not get "rotate logs"
> and other commands that the "daemon:foo" helper gets. The TCP logger
> just gets the logging line, without any prefix to accommodate future
> commands or extensions. This seems rather unfortunate because it
> prevents Squid from reporting significant logging-related events to the
> remote TCP logger.
>
> Log rotation is one example. Another example would be reporting the
> number of lost (due to connectivity problems) access.log records to a
> remote logger (if we start supporting such a feature).
>

> Is it to late to adjust documentation so that all logging helpers can
> get logging commands?
>
> If it is too late, how about adding an "understands commands" option to
> access_log so that loggers that can understand commands can receive them?
>

> Thank you,
>
> Alex.

There are at least two users making use of the TCP output method that I
am aware of.

At this point it woudl be a little messy but still possibly worth doing
as a concept.

However, this tcp: module is designed as a stream replacement of
access.log stdio output all the tools are designed to operate with.
Details such as when rotation is requested by the (now external) admin
or when Squid starts/stops/reconfigures have never been logged to the
access.log files before (udp: and syslog: do not get them either) and
cache.log is not sent over the tcp: module.

As for lines lost. That might be worth recording. I am thinking a log
line " ... lost NNN lines during TCP connection outage ..." would be
sufficient ??

Amos