Re: int to intXX_t conversion

From: Kinkie <gkinkie_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 18:20:57 +0100

On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 6:08 PM, Alex Rousskov
<rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com> wrote:
> On 02/01/2013 04:01 AM, Kinkie wrote:
>
>> Is there any objection for me to entertain myself doing "int" ->
>> "intXX_t" and "unisgned int -> uintXX_t" conversions in the meanwhile?
>> This seems to be in line with c++11 changes, and should have no
>> adverse effects.
>
> The immediate adverse effect would be conflicts with other pending
> features, of course.
>
> What is the motivation behind this? Why intXX_t is better than int when
> we do not really care about the exact variable size?

Hi Alex,
  IMVHO, to varying degrees, we do care, however little. It adds
clarity, and a predictable cross-platform, cross-os and
cross-architecture memory layout. It's mostly a textual rearrangement,
so I don't think that fixing any possible merge conflicts would add
much overhead to any feature branch being developed.
  It is of course a matter of opinion in the end. It seems that I am
being more aggressive than the average with legacy code, especially
for "search and replace" things which don't require much brain power
such as this one.
 Besides StringNG, I'm trying to apply myself to side things such as
cleanup, c++-ification, STL-ification (in place of the plethora of
linked list implementations we have in place now), etc.

Thanks

--
    /kinkie