RE: squid as a socks server

From: James Harper <james.harper_at_bendigoit.com.au>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 05:21:50 +0000

> Having a look at this page http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/Socks I can't
> tell for sure if this project is talking about a socks server, socks client, or both.
> I think it's both but the two functions are different enough they should
> probably be separate projects...
>
> I like the idea of squid as a socks server because it already has all the
> authentication and logging infrastructure, even though it probably can't
> actually cache anything via socks.
>
> The problem I'm trying to solve is what to do with all the protocols that I want
> to police that aren't http/https, and what to do with applications that don't
> know how to authenticate to proxies but could authenticate to a socks server
> via a socks client.
>
> Is anyone working on this?

OK so not a lot of interest?

Suppose I wanted to implement this... it's been over a decade since I last looked at the squid code in any detail but looking around now I think I would need to do something like:

. add socks_port configuration option to cf.data.pre
. add code to parsePortCfg to detect socks_port params
. tune parsePortSpecification to validate options

At this stage I think socks is quite similar to CONNECT for the outgoing port case (bind and udp are completely different obviously), so I'm assuming that reusing the existing code around PortCfg is a good start.

Any tips on where to go next would be appreciated.

Thanks

James