squid as a socks server

From: James Harper <james.harper_at_bendigoit.com.au>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 03:52:36 +0000

Having a look at this page http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/Socks I can't tell for sure if this project is talking about a socks server, socks client, or both. I think it's both but the two functions are different enough they should probably be separate projects...

I like the idea of squid as a socks server because it already has all the authentication and logging infrastructure, even though it probably can't actually cache anything via socks.

The problem I'm trying to solve is what to do with all the protocols that I want to police that aren't http/https, and what to do with applications that don't know how to authenticate to proxies but could authenticate to a socks server via a socks client.

Is anyone working on this?

Thanks

James