Re: squid as a socks server

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 13:27:20 +1300

On 11/03/2013 4:52 p.m., James Harper wrote:
> Having a look at this page http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/Socks I can't tell for sure if this project is talking about a socks server, socks client, or both. I think it's both but the two functions are different enough they should probably be separate projects...

It is talking about both SOCKS / HTTP gateway forms SOCK->HTTP and
HTTP->SOCKS

> I like the idea of squid as a socks server because it already has all the authentication and logging infrastructure, even though it probably can't actually cache anything via socks.
>
> The problem I'm trying to solve is what to do with all the protocols that I want to police that aren't http/https, and what to do with applications that don't know how to authenticate to proxies but could authenticate to a socks server via a socks client.
>
> Is anyone working on this?

Not since I gave up on that branch. My SOCKS configuration an testing
skills were not up to the task. If you have better success you are
welcome to continue it.

The problem I faced at the end was that Squid was apparently transiting
traffic and I could not identify whether it was arriving as
HTTP-over-SOCKS or HTTP-over-TCP, so there was no way to identify if the
socks-enabled versus socks-disabled port settings were working or not.

Amos