Re: /bzr/squid3/trunk/ r12821: Drop terminal comments and garbage options from cache_peer lines

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 09:59:48 -0600

On 05/15/2013 06:55 AM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> On 15/05/2013 10:24 a.m., Alex Rousskov wrote:
>> On 05/14/2013 12:36 PM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>>> revno: 12821
>>> message:
>>> Drop terminal comments and garbage options from cache_peer lines
>>> modified:
>>> src/cache_cf.cc
>>
>> May I request that future changes relaxing squid.conf checks go through
>> squid-dev review so that they can be discussed and possibly stopped
>> without undoing commits?

> Okay, What would you like to stop about this one?

> - enabling of #comment on cache_peer lines?

I would like comments to be handled consistently and correctly, for all
options, instead of being handled incorrectly for one option.

> - loudly warning about unknown options? (ie all SSL options when
> non-SSL proxy loading the config, monitor-URL options on Squid-3, HTCP
> options when HTCP build-time disabled).

I would like Squid to quit if it cannot understand a [cache-peer] option
(including all the cases you have mentioned).

Needless to say, the consensus may be against me -- this is not the
first time I am arguing that Squid should reject incorrect
configurations rather than muddle through them -- but I think this issue
is important enough to warrant reviews. Moreover, it is possible that
even the review request itself will be overruled by an overwhelming
consensus.

Thank you,

Alex.