Re: [RFC] 3.4 release timetable

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 20:46:32 +1200

On 25/03/2013 6:02 p.m., Amos Jeffries wrote:
> On 24/03/2013 5:35 p.m., Alex Rousskov wrote:
>> On Sun, 24 Mar 2013, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>>
>>> We have 5 new features in 3.HEAD now and it seems to be stable
>>> enough for public use.
>>> See http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Squid-3.4 for the list of what I am
>>> classifying as a new feature.
>>>
>>> *** I am contemplating branching 3.4 into a beta series in the
>>> coming weeks ***
>>>
>>> That will mean probably June or July for a stable release.

I let this earlier plan slide a bit. But am now contemplating a
branching again. With an eye on getting a new release out soonish.

If you have anything ready or almost ready for commit, please ensure
that it gets into review in the coming days. I am going to be continuing
the strict "no feature backports" line after branching. The exact date
is not yet set, but I can not even leverage that around interesting
features until they have been put forward for review.
  Also, the days coming up to branch will likely see a few more
widespread cleanup and polishing patches from me going in. So ready
features will want to avoid extra work by getting in beforehand.

>> 2. Basic collapsed forwarding. The code works in non-SMP mode, but I
>> need to finish SMP support before I can submit the patch for Squid
>> Project review. This may take a few weeks.
>
> As 2.7 feature parity this one is eligible for consideration as a
> back-ports where other features are not.
>
> If this feature in a state that would be happy submitting a non-SMP
> version for 3.4 with SMP support coming later? There are quite a few
> installations of 2.7 needing this feature that would be able to cope
> with non-SMP for a bit longer in exchange for all the other 3.x
> benefits. They will be forced to wait even longer without those other
> 3.x benefits as it is now.

Any update/answers to that?

Cheer
Amos