Re: [RFC] 3.4 release timetable

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 09:02:23 -0600

On 05/31/2013 02:46 AM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>> On 24/03/2013 5:35 p.m., Alex Rousskov wrote:
>>> 2. Basic collapsed forwarding. The code works in non-SMP mode, but I
>>> need to finish SMP support before I can submit the patch for Squid
>>> Project review. This may take a few weeks.

>> As 2.7 feature parity this one is eligible for consideration as a
>> back-ports where other features are not.
>>
>> If this feature in a state that would be happy submitting a non-SMP
>> version for 3.4 with SMP support coming later? There are quite a few
>> installations of 2.7 needing this feature that would be able to cope
>> with non-SMP for a bit longer in exchange for all the other 3.x
>> benefits. They will be forced to wait even longer without those other
>> 3.x benefits as it is now.

> Any update/answers to that?

No significant changes. We had to suspend collapsed forwarding work for
a while, but are actively working on it now. I hope to post the changes
for review in approximately ten days.

We will not be splitting changes into non-SMP and SMP parts so if you
want collapsed forwarding support in v3.4, then your choices include:

1. Waiting for the completion of that project before you branch (will
also give you Large Rock in v3.4).

2a. Porting the whole thing (including Large Rock) to v3.4 after your
branch.

2b. Separating Large Rock changes from non-SMP collapsed forwarding
support and porting the latter to v3.4 after you branch. This would
require even more work than #2a, especially if Large Rock changes
include general Store-related improvements that non-SMP collapsed
forwarding needs.

I recommend option #1 because it reduces overheads, but it is your call.
I know Factory can do #1, but, at this time, I do not know whether we
will be able to do #2a or #2b (which is one more reason #1 looks
attractive to me).

HTH,

Alex.