Re: Reorganizing the squid builds

From: Kinkie <gkinkie_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 16:44:27 +0200

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 4:30 PM, Alex Rousskov
<rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com> wrote:
> On 08/19/2013 06:56 AM, Kinkie wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> Now that the matrix jobs feature has matured in jenkins, I'd like to
>> restructure the jobs we use for our continuous integration testing to
>> reduce their number.
>
> I have no opinion on the matter because I do not know enough about the
> problem. You might get more meaningful feedback if you can provide brief
> answers to the following questions: Why the number of jobs is important,
> what is the current number of jobs estimate, approximately what number
> of jobs will we have after restructuring, and what [jobs] are we going
> to lose as the result of this optimization?

Hi Alex,
  sure :)
The number of jobs is important for manageability: it will allow us a
more consistent coverage of OS/compiler combos; the change will also
reduce the burden on the administrators.
We currently have about 60 jobs; the expected number of jobs after
restructuring is in the 10 to 20 range.
We are not going to lose any coverage, on the contrary we will be able
to introduce a broader coverage of OS and compiler variants.

In fact, the biggest impact will be during the transition phase, in
that we will probably discover (and have to fix) more brokenness than
we currently know about.

    /kinkie