Re: Reorganizing the squid builds

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 02:44:51 +1200

On 20/08/2013 12:56 a.m., Kinkie wrote:
> Hi all,
> Now that the matrix jobs feature has matured in jenkins, I'd like to
> restructure the jobs we use for our continuous integration testing to
> reduce their number.
>
> I propose to use these jobs:
> - X.Y-matrix -> gcc-only (for now), build a specific revision
> - trunk-compilers-matrix -> uses a combination filter to test on any
> unix-like platform using any available compiler (gcc, clang, icc, msvc
> to come as soon as the windows port reaches stability)
> - anybranch-wholefarm-matrix -> same as above, but with some
> parameters (a branch to be used, whether to use ccache or not, and an
> address to be notified).
>
> Ideally trunk-compilers-matrix should replace most 3.HEAD-* jobs,
> while anybranch-wholefarm-matrix can replace most experimental jobs
> (after all, a patch is just a push to lp away). The only nonmatrix
> jobs that would remain are
> - coverity-submit
> - mswin
> - possibly some support jobs
>
> What do you think?
> I plan to go ahead on Aug 25th, unless there are no objections.
>
> Thanks!

We have several problems with the existing matrix jobs before it makes
much sense to use them this widely:
* at the top level it appears that the stable releases are failing to
build (red icon) if any one of the test nodes fail.
* there is no soft-fail type indication when a failure was with Jenkins
infrastructure.

Have the matrix support advanced far enough to resolve those issues for
us yet?

They currently provide a false impression of instability and prevents us
testing all stable versions against all nodes simply because the newer
nodes will be for OS which the stable was never coded to build on
properly (ie 3.1 wont build on FreeBSD 9/10 after compiler changes). It
would be good to have such a picture of the versions buildability but I
hope we can avoid giving the impression that none of our stables ever work.

I think it may be worth a try, but not removing the existing jobs until
the new ones have a proven record of usefulness.

Amos