Re: Revised approach to fixing configuration syntax

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 17:55:02 -0600

On 09/27/2013 10:20 AM, Alex Rousskov wrote:
> Your call regarding v3.4, but I suggest the following for that branch:
>
> - Undo recent parsing changes.
>
> - Add simple, disabled-by-default support for whitespaces in ACLs:
> https://code.launchpad.net/~measurement-factory/squid/conf-quoted-str

Actually, we may be able to simplify the second bullet further. There
may be a better, forward-compatible solution for v3.4 as far as
ACL-with-spaces syntax is concerned: v3.4 can only support the following
syntax for quoted values:

    squid::"foo bar"

No clashes with legacy "include/file" expressions.

If we all agree that the probability of a real ACL value with a squid::"
prefix is negligible, then no new configuration options needed.

If we do not agree, then we may be able to agree that one of the
following is unique enough:

    squid::string("foo bar")

And it would be still forward compatible.

HTH,

Alex.