Re: [RFC] Squid process model and -z

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2013 09:39:55 -0700

On 11/06/2013 04:46 AM, Eliezer Croitoru wrote:
> On 11/06/2013 12:00 AM, Alex Rousskov wrote:
>> If we make squid-z a no-op, startup scripts that do not verify that
>> squid-z worked will continue to work fine. However, there will be some
>> upgrade pains for admins that use more complex startup scripts today. On
>> the other hand, many of the admins are already experiencing upgrade
>> pains because of how squid-z interacts with SMP now. It is difficult for
>> me to say what kind of pain is preferable, but I think we should
>> seriously [re]consider making squid-z a no-op as sketched above.

> I was wondering why would the admin want to find and manage the
> cache_dir by the startup script although it cannot determine anything
> about this cache_dir (corruption etc...).

AFAICT, there are no known use cases where the admin _wants_ to manage
the cache_dir internals. All known use cases are the result of current
Squid implementation _forcing_ the admin to manage the cache_dir
internals by detecting and creating missing directories. As you have
said, the startup script does not have enough information to do this
management correctly in many cases.

> For now I found it very nice to have the -z option since sometimes there
> are troubles that can be discovered by "squid -z" and not later on find
> it in the cache.log.

Can you detail this a bit please? Are you talking about running squid -z
manually or from an unattented startup script? What kind of troubles do
you discover by running "squid -z" that you cannot discover by running
"squid".

> What would be the alternative to get on STDOUT error messages on "squid
> -z"?

I am not sure I understand the question, but perhaps the answer is
"squid -d1" or "tail -f cache.log"?

> systemd uses STDOUT\ERR and exit codes (standard way of doing things) to
> log in the "journal" which is a nice thing.
>
> So would squid in SMP will\should use exit code of the startup process
> to reflect the status of the cache_dir ??

If cache_dir directory is missing and Squid is prohibited from creating
it or ignoring the cache_dir, then Squid instance should exit with a
non-zero exit code. This behavior should be the same for SMP and non-SMP
cases.

Cheers,

Alex.