Re: [RFC] Squid process model and -z

From: Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer_at_ngtech.co.il>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2013 13:46:32 +0200

On 11/06/2013 12:00 AM, Alex Rousskov wrote:
> If we make squid-z a no-op, startup scripts that do not verify that
> squid-z worked will continue to work fine. However, there will be some
> upgrade pains for admins that use more complex startup scripts today. On
> the other hand, many of the admins are already experiencing upgrade
> pains because of how squid-z interacts with SMP now. It is difficult for
> me to say what kind of pain is preferable, but I think we should
> seriously [re]consider making squid-z a no-op as sketched above.

I was wondering why would the admin want to find and manage the
cache_dir by the startup script although it cannot determine anything
about this cache_dir (corruption etc...).
For now I found it very nice to have the -z option since sometimes there
are troubles that can be discovered by "squid -z" and not later on find
it in the cache.log.

What would be the alternative to get on STDOUT error messages on "squid -z"?
systemd uses STDOUT\ERR and exit codes (standard way of doing things) to
log in the "journal" which is a nice thing.

So would squid in SMP will\should use exit code of the startup process
to reflect the status of the cache_dir ??

Thanks,
Eliezer