Re: [RFC] rename mime.conf

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2013 19:28:20 -0700

On 11/16/2013 07:17 PM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> On 17/11/2013 9:13 a.m., Eliezer Croitoru wrote:
>> Just wanted to say this is the first time I have been seen a thread
>> about it.
>> If we will define it in the squid.conf as one of the main component it
>> will might look differently.
>>
>> On 11/16/2013 06:11 AM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>>> For quite some time I have been trying to get the package distributors
>>> to handle our mime.conf file as a Squid-specific config file, which gets
>>> FHS $(sysconf) installation instead of a Squid a data file, which gets
>>> FHS $(datadir) installation.
>> OK a list of packages options:
>> apt(deb)
>> yum(rpm)
>> emerge(dont remeber? ebuild?)
>> pkgtool\installpkg(slackware..)
>> any others?
>>
>> Instead of jumping to change the file name can we *try* to "ping" these
>> package distributors\maintainers and notify them that there is a meaning
>> to this file name?(2 pings and then drop the route...)?
>
> I have been doing so every few months or so for the last ~5 years. Even
> sending patches against their packaging. Some changed, some didn't.

I think we should trust Amos judgment instead of trying to micromanage
something he has worked on for so long: If Amos says that renaming is
the best option, we should rename, provided there are no reasonable and
serious objections that he has not considered yet. No such objections
has surfaced so far AFAIK.

Cheers,

Alex.