Re: c++0x and RHEL5.X

From: Kinkie <gkinkie_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 14:14:54 +0100

>> I was intending to start the serious decision talk late next year,
>> probably after 3.5 has gone beta or stable. So that we take a good look
>> at it for the 3.6 timeframe. That will give us at least half of the
>> major distros fully on the preferred GCC versions and some like CentOS
>> etc only a short few years away from EOL on the non-working versions
>> (probably with packages available for the preferred compiler versions).
>>
>> PPS. Anything we do in the C++11 direction before 2015 will probably
>> still require macros and wrappings. So look carefully at the features in
>> regards to whether there is a non-C++11 equivalent and how messy the
>> wrappers would make the code.
>>

> I am running CentOS 5.x and on this has a package called 'gcc44'
> which install gcc 4.4.7 next to gcc 4.1.2.
> Does RHEL have the gcc44 package ?

I guess so: I can see the SRPM for gcc 4.4.7 in Red Hat's public FTP.
That's a relief. Thanks for pointing things out!

Next questions:
do we want to require c++0x sometime before requiring c++11 or do we
make only one big leap?
And do we want to keep gcc 4.1 around on our CentOS 5 build nodes to
notice if any c++0x sneaks in?

--
    /kinkie