Re: How long is a domain or url can be?

From: Marcus Kool <marcus.kool_at_urlfilterdb.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 20:52:38 -0300

[...]

> So for now a url blacklist should be at-least 4KB with size but I think when jumping\doubling 4KB it's not such a big jump to 8KB.
> The main issue I was thinking was between using one field of the DB with X size or other one which has indexes.
>
> For now I have used mysql TEXT which doesn't have indexes but only the first query takes more then 0.00 ms.
>
> I have tried couple key-value DB's and other DB's but it seems like all of them are having some kind of a step which is the slowest and then it run's fast.
>
> I have mysql Compared to key-vaule and the main differences are the on-disk size of the DB which is important if there is a plan to filter many many specific urls and not based only on patterns.
>
> Amos:(or anyone else) since you patched squidguard, maybe you do have basic understanding with it's lookup algorithm?
> I started reading the code of SquidGuard but then all of a sudden I lost my way in it and things got a bit complicated (for me) to understand how they do it.(hints..)

Eliezer,

It is not clear what you want to achieve... If you just want to use a URL filter
I suggest to use ufdbGuard. I am the author, give support, there are regular
updates, it is multithreaded and holds only one copy in memory, and has a documented
proprietary database format which is 3-4 times faster than squidGuard.

Marcus