Re: [RFC] useful warnings

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2014 11:20:16 -0600

On 06/04/2014 05:19 AM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> The efforts to clean up Squid C++ compliance are going forwards in small
> increments painfully sowly. The last -W flag we manged to get added was
> -Wshadow.
>
> Since then I have come to the conclusion that we should add several
> others but the number of warnings they produce is unrealistic to fix on
> top of teh other work we all have on.
>
> As a half measure I would like to enable those warnings such as
> -Wconversion, -Weffc++, -Woverride-virtual, etc. which provide useful
> warnings about nasty code problems immediately. But given that there are
> hoards of issues existing right now pairing each with a -Wno-error= so
> that we can work on them jointly and more gradually before removing the
> -Wno-error.

I do not think it is a good idea to add "hoards" of warnings that admins
can do nothing (but worry) about.

It is trivial to add a -W flag during build so if somebody wants to work
on these issues, they can easily do that without spamming others. Also,
we can enable these warnings in farm builds, I guess.

$0.02,

Alex.