Re: [RFC] post-cache REQMOD

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 08:47:31 -0600

On 07/11/2014 05:27 AM, Tsantilas Christos wrote:

> The PageSpeed example fits better to a post-cache RESPMOD feature.

I do not think so. Post-cache RESPMOD does not allow Squid to cache the
adapted variants. Please let me know if I missed how post-cache RESPMOD
can do that.

The key here is that PageSpeed and similar services want to create (and
cache) many adapted responses out of a single virgin response. Neither
HTTP itself nor the Squid architecture support that well. Post-cache
REQMOD allows basic PageSpeed support (the first request for "small"
adapted content gets "large" virgin content, but the second request for
small content fetches it from the PageSpeed cache, storing it in Squid
cache). To optimize PageSpeed support further (so that the first request
can get small content), we will need to add another generally useful
feature, but I would rather not bring it into this discussion (there
will be a separate RFC if we get that far).

The alternative is to create a completely new interface (not a true
vectoring point) that allows an adaptation service to push multiple
adapted responses into the Squid cache _and_ tell Squid which of those
proposing that, I still think we would be better off supporting
"standard" and "well understood" building blocks (such as standard
adaptation vectoring points) rather than such highly-specialized
interfaces. Please let me know if you disagree.

> Is
> the post-cacge REQMOD just a first step to support all post-cache
> vectoring points?

You can certainly view it that way, but I do not propose or promise
adding post-cache RESPMOD :-).

Thank you,

Alex.