Re: [RFC] post-cache REQMOD

From: Reiner Karlsberg <karlsberg_at_softart-ge.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 15:34:18 +0200

>> The only way to support Squid caching of PageSpeed variants without
>> repeated round trips to the origin server is using two Squids. The
>> parent Squid would cache origin server responses while the child Squid
>> would adapt parent's responses and cache adapted content. Needless to
>> say, running two Squids (each with its own cache) instead of one adds
>> significant performance/administrative overheads and complexity.
Not such a big deal. Doing exactly this for years already, in my open proxy, to be used for mobile users. (Just a hobby)
client-squid-ziproxy....-squid-web

Some functions of PageSpeed are performed in sandwiched ziproxy, like graphics compression to various levels, or gzip of
plain pages.
Needs multi-core CPU, of course.

The more professional solution using a PageSpeed module combined with squid
would only be of practical advantage for large scale users, like ISPs, in need of best performance and flexibility.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Reiner Karlsberg