Re: [RFC] post-cache REQMOD

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 09:34:47 -0600

On 07/11/2014 07:34 AM, Reiner Karlsberg wrote:

>>> The only way to support Squid caching of PageSpeed variants without
>>> repeated round trips to the origin server is using two Squids. The
>>> parent Squid would cache origin server responses while the child Squid
>>> would adapt parent's responses and cache adapted content. Needless to
>>> say, running two Squids (each with its own cache) instead of one adds
>>> significant performance/administrative overheads and complexity.

> Not such a big deal.

Agreed. For you and many others, it is not a big deal indeed.

> The more professional solution using a PageSpeed module combined with
> squid
> would only be of practical advantage for large scale users, like ISPs,
> in need of best performance and flexibility.

Exactly! The "need of best performance" [and least administrative
overhead] is what we are trying to accommodate in this case. Since many
Squid improvements during the last 5+ years are sponsored by "large
scale users", I do not think it is a good idea to reject their requests
just because they are irrelevant to others. What do you think?

Cheers,

Alex.