Re: Possible memory leak.

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2014 13:13:09 -0600

On 07/20/2014 09:27 AM, Eliezer Croitoru wrote:
> I want to verify the issue I have seen:
> Now The server is on about 286 MB of resident memory.
> The issue is that the server memory usage was more then 800MB while two
> things in mind
> 1 - The whole web server is 600 MB
> 2 - 150MB is the maximum object size in memory (there is no disk cache)
> 3 - the cache memory of the server is the default of 256MB.
>
> I cannot think about an option that will lead this server to consume
> more then 400MB even if one 10 bytes file is being fetched with a query
> term every time with a different parameter.
>
> If the sum of all the request to the proxy are 30k I do not see how it
> would still lead to 900MB of ram used by squid.
>
> If I am mistaken(could very simple accomplished) then I want to
> understand what to look for in the mgr interface to see if there is a
> reasonable usage of memory or not.

I would start with the total amount of memory accounted for by Squid
(a.k.a. pooled memory). IIRC, that is reported on mgr:info and mgr:mem.
There are several possibilities,

A) The Squid-reported pooled memory amount matches your expectations,
but Squid consumes much more RAM than what is reported. Thus, the extra
memory is not pooled, and a lot more work is needed to identify
unreported memory consumers.

B) The Squid-reported pooled memory matches the total Squid memory
consumption. You are lucky! Look for major memory consumers in mgr:mem
output and match that against your model of where the memory should go.

C) The Squid-reported pooled memory amount does not match your
expectations, and Squid consumes much more RAM than what is reported.
First, study the reported memory to adjust your expectations or find
some memory consumers that should not be there. Then go to (A) or (B).

HTH,

Alex.