Re: Using 2 partitions as cache_dir...

From: Duane Wessels <wessels>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 96 15:50:05 -0700

kclau@www.nsysu.edu.tw writes:

>Hi,
>
> I am wonder that how to use 2 partitions for cache storage?
> The explanation in configuration file doesn't say clearly.
> What should I set for the cache size ? I have 2x2G HD, for example:
>
> /cache1 & /cache2
>
> so, I use:
>
> cache_dir /cache1
> cache_dir /cache2
>
> and
>
> cache_swap 4000
>
> is it right? Will it possible that when /cache1 is full and /cache2
> is still in low level usage ?

That is correct.

Squid assumes that /cache1 and /cache2 are the same size. It just
alternates between the two for every object which gets stored.

However, you can use more cache_dir lines in the proper ratio if
you have partitions of different size. If you have /P1 with 1G
and /P2 with 2G, then you could use

    cache_dir /P1/cache1
    cache_dir /P2/cache2
    cache_dir /P2/cache3

and similarly for other ratios.

You might want to do this anyway since each 'cache_dir' has 100
subdirectories. If you have too few cache_dir's then each of
the subdirectories will have 1000's of files and the time to
seek through large directory entries may slow down your cache.

Duane W.