Re: Anyone running Linux 2.0 + squid > beta 7?

From: Russell Vincent <vincent@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 14:37:59 +0200 (SAST)

Kim Lee (zipguy) <kim@zip.com.au> wrote:
> We've been able to run Squid 1.0 beta 7 without any fatal problems
> on Linux 1.3.70, and 2.0.0 but when we use say some of the betas which
> appear to not leak for others (non-Linux?) we still have memory
> problems (ie set mem cache to 16Mb but grows beyond 30Mb!)

As far as I am aware, that is normal. The 16MB that you specified
for mem_cache is the memory to use for caching the full objects.
Squid still uses extra memory for each URL that is stored on disk.
i.e: An entry for every line of your '/cache/log' file that points to
an entry on disk. Each entry takes about 80(?) bytes, so when you
are using 4GB of disk, the memory usage for the object pointers/info
will be about 32MB.

16MB (cache_mem) + 32MB (for 4GB disk) + a small(ish) extra for program
and other variables.

You probably don't want to reduce your cache_mem too low, because it
probably affects your max object size (it did in Harvest, anyway).

Open to correction.

 -Russell