Re: cache not up to date

From: Duane Wessels <wessels>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 96 14:47:26 -0700

lut@szg.porsche.co.at writes:

>Hi Duane!
>
>How does expiring exactly work with cache servers?
>
>Is it enough to put the line Last-Modified: ... in my HTML files or
>should I have the Expires header also?

Well, briefly, Squid choose a TTL from one of three ways:

    From An Expires header
    A percent of the object age, determined from the Last-Modified time
    A fixed, default value

Expires is always the best way to go. Last-Modified is almost always
sent for regular objects stored on disk (but not CGI scripts).

Some HTTP servers may let you specify the Expires value in the HTML.
See the HTML 'META' tag here:
    http://www.oac.uci.edu/indiv/ehood/html2.0/meta.html

Duane W.