Re: cache not up to date

From: Daniel O'Callaghan <danny@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 12:13:32 +1000 (EST)

On Wed, 19 Jun 1996, Doug Urner wrote:

> I've been running benchmarks in our lab using WebStone version 1.1.
> With the distributed load (filelist.ss), which has an average file
> size of 7 K and a maximum file size of 200 K Squid is able to handle
> in the order of 280 connections per second on a 133 MHz P5 running
> BSD/OS or 440 connections per second on a 200 MHz P6. This works out
> to 1.0 million and 1.6 million hits per hour.

Doug, you left out something crucial to the performance of squid - RAM.
How much RAM do you have in this box? And also, since these are all flat
docs, they are easily cached by squid.

I find squid to be really RAM hungry, whereas the other proxy servers end
up CPU-bound. My proxy is a P90 running squid, and its kernel is
generally 80-90% idle during busy periods. OS is FreeBSD, which is
comparable to BSD/OS.

Danny