ftpget, navigation

From: Alan Cox <A.Cox@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 17:25:15 +0100

I've had squid 1.0.beta17 running for a few days now and have a couple of
questions people might be able to help me with. This is my first experience
of squid (or harvest).

ftpget seems to assume that a user is not permitted to navigate the
remote file-system any higher than the directory corresponding to

        ftp://host/

i.e. connect to that URL and you don't get a link to the parent directory.

Such a link only appears if you go to ftp://host/subdir/

It is arguable that this is reasonable behaviour if one is connecting
to an anonymous ftp server; the login directory is usually the top of
the tree that you are allowed to roam .... but if I connect to my Unix
system -

        ftp://username:password@host/

there are times when I want to go up from my home directory. ftpget
doesn't seem to admit that this is possible.

The URL

        ftp://username:password@host/./

does take me to the parent of my home directory but then the links returned
by ftpget are wrong - generated with respect to my home directory rather
than the current directory.

This looks like a design flaw to me. Yes?

Alan Cox
NERC Computer Services
Natural Environment Research Council