Re: Alternative cache expire method?

From: James R Grinter <jrg@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 16:41:07 +0000

On Thu 27 Jun, 1996, Lars Marowsky-Bree <lmb@pointer.in-minden.de> wrote:
>Why does squid _always_ reload the entire page if the client sends a reload
>request instead of sending an if-modified-since request?

because your client is doing the write thing and truly asking
for the document to be reloaded by sending 'Pragma: no-cache'
in its request. Netscape does this too, and this *is* the right
thing to be doing.. if you don't want to reload a document
don't select reload!

For a no-cache request, I wouldn't want a proxy to decide not to reload:
I might know that the file didn't completely download, for example
(though this should be dealt with by checking the Content-length
if there was one)

-- jrg.