Problem with FTP II

From: Thomas Knauer <tknauer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 1996 10:26:48 +0200 (MET DST)

Hallo,

yesterday, after sending my problem to the list, I got some hints, but
unfortunately all of them didn't work. :-(

Here's the problem:

- We've only one parent (cache_host foo.com 80 3130), no additional neighbors.
- Our parent doesn't allow ftp-requests.
- We'd like to setup squid to:
        - forward http|gopher requests to our parent
        - but sending ftp-requests DIRECLY to the destination address.

Here are some of the answers I got:

>I think this would do it:
>
>hierarchy_stoplist ^ftp://
>hierarchy_stoplist ftp://
(and certain variations)

>ftp_stop .

and:

>Have a look at the 'cache_host_acl' tag in squid.conf.
>Looks like you can set up a 'proto' ACL for FTP and add it to
>the 'cache_host_acl' TAG. Something like:
>
>acl ftpacl proto FTP
>cache_host_acl foo.com !ftpacl

Yes, this one I have already tried:

acl ftpaccess proto ftp
cache_host_acl foo.com !ftpaccess

After a SIGHUP to squid, I get the following message when I try
to start a FTP session:

> The requested URL could not be retrieved

> While trying to retrieve the URL: ftp://papa.indstate.edu
>
> The following error was encountered:
>
> * Unable to Retrieve
>
> The system returned:
>
> No neighbors or parents to query and the host is beyond your firewall.
>
> The cache administrator may need to double-check the cache configuration.
>
> This means that:
>
> The requested URL can not currently be retrieved.

> Generated by squid/1.0.0@....

squid.conf:
inside_firewall bla.com foo.com etc. (our local virtual hosts).

I'm sure, I did more than "double-checking". What else should I try
to get this setup running ?

Sorry for the long posting!!!

Best regards,
Thomas

--
 Thomas Knauer                                CUBENet  Multiline  BBS  Munich
 FIDO 2:2480/66        TKnauer @ IRC          +49 89 1498811       (36 Lines)