Squid and http server on the same machine

From: Robert Hart <hartr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 1996 09:24:50 +0800 (WST)

Given the lack of documentation in the squid package, I am only slowly
coming to grips with how to set this up.

As I see it, to operate a standard http server AND squid on the same
machine, I need to set up squid to listen for local proxy requests on a
port other than 80 - since my standard http server will listen on port 80.

As I understand it, setting it up this way will allow internal proxy
access (and squid will get local pages from the local server) whilst
external requests to our server will still be honoured on port 80 by our
local http daemon.

Squid will also talk to its neighbours/parents happily to check them to
see if local requests can be met from their caches.

If this is correct, what port should I put squid on to listen for proxies
- should it be a port below 1024 (a privileged port) or can it be on a
port above 1023 (unpriveleged port). Is there any emerging "standard"
port for proxy/caching services such as those offered by squid?

Many thanks,

Robert Hart hartr@hedland.edu.au
Voice: +61 (0)91 72 0429 Fax: +61 (0)91 72 3560
Hedland College, PMB 1, South Hedland WA 6722 Australia