Re: ACL Extensions

From: Robert H. Ross <rross@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 1996 14:51:17 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 5 Jul 1996, Duane Wessels wrote:

> rross@supernet.net writes:
>

> >I have an interest in seeing ACL extended in two ways and I would like to
> >know if anyone is currently working on either or both of these.
> >
> >1.) Excluding a large list of sites.
> > The current method is not practical for a "large" list. Such a list
> >would of require some type of hash or indexing function. It would also
> >reside outside of the config file.
>
> This item is on my to-do list.

Do you have any projected time table and how can I help?

> >2.) Excluding sites per PICS (http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/PICS)
> > Platform for Internet Content Selection. Many sites on the net
> >already include PICS headers and it would be valuable to be able to
> >exclude based on this information.
>
> I'd never heard of PICS before. Sounds great, but after reading the
> 15 minute version its not clear to me how it works in a proxy.
> Will require some more investigation....

The way I envisioned it, the proxy, upon retrieving the head
information, would either restrict or allow access based on the PICS
rating.

Thanks,
Bob

Robert H. Ross, "Bob" President,
rross@supernet.net Fourth Wave, Inc.
Southeast Regional Director PO Box 38023
Netware Users International, NA Tallahassee, Fl 32315
Administrator for supernet.net (904) 216-1618 - voice
Florida's on-ramp to the (904) 216-1623 - fax
Information SuperHighway. (904) 216-1576 - on-line