Re: Problem with old pages

From: Duane Wessels <wessels>
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 96 15:40:22 -0700

guenther.fischer@hrz.tu-chemnitz.de writes:

>Second: If I get the page from my neighbor, does my squid give a new
>TTL from scratch or does he see the remaining TTL from the neigbor?
>If not and I think it is the reality - 2 neighbors could produce a ever
>living page.

Hello Guenther,

You are absolutely right, this is a serious bug. I'm embarassed that
I didn't think of it before.

Well, there's a few ways we can fix this.

  1. Never cache any objects with no Last-Modified or Expires.
     You can already do this in your config. We could also make it the
     default behaviour.

  2. Never cache any objects from siblings (and parents?) with no
     Last-Modified or Expires.

  3. Modify Squid to add its own Expires line if needed.

The first two are easy hacks, the last is not.

My caches report that around 15% of all objects do not have a Last-Modified
time. You can get this from current Squid versions with

    % client cache_object://sv/stats/reply_headers

opinions?

Duane W.